Rotary Conference in Madrid

Rotary Conference in Madrid
Some Randum Exchange Students

My Blog

Please Enjoy my blog.



If this is the first time you are visiting My Blog, this colum reads in reverse chronilogical order of posting. In simpler words, the next paragraph is the last posting I have made.



Monday, December 27, 2010

VISITING MY CANADIAN PRIMO IN THE SOUTH and excursion with Lauren (I won't mention what island she is from because that will cause immense controversy)

before you get confused you should know that Primo=cousin
On Wednesday I set off to the South with Marcos and MErci to visit my Canadian cousin, Dana! Marcos goes to the south twice a week to his office there so I went along with him. I will explain how he is my cousin before I go any further. I live with Marcos, who is a Cabrera, and Dana who is from P.E.I, Canada lives with Marcos’ brother Mateo. That was the first time in a long time I have spoken English, it was rather weird, and I realized that not only is my Spanish bad, but so is my English! OH NO!
Dana showed me around Los Cristianos, which is the tourist area of the island, super close to the ocean and beaches. I am from la Laguna, which is further up in the mountains, so I am use to the cold. I wore jeans and a sweater to his house, BIG MISTAKE. I was sweating as we walked along the beach. Never seen so many English people since I’ve been in Spain. It was soooo weird, where I live I am the only foreign person. While Dana has more people from other countries such as France, Germany, Japan, Brazil, Sweden, Finland, etc. He told me he only has 7 Spanish people in his class. While I on the contrary, everyone in my class is super Spanish, which makes me stick out like a sore thumb. Although it must not be that bad because Spanish people have asked me for directions before! WOO HOO I fit in
We walked like 10 towns on the boardwalk along the beach; probably walked a good 10km. We relaxed for a little, ate lunch, and took a short water break and went out walking again later in the night. We went to the beach and stood in the water, the first wave came in and I literally screamed it was so cold. The British lady beside us thought it was so worm and was in here bikini thinking she was getting a tan as the sun was setting... crazy brits! I am officially a Canarian because I find 20-23 degree weather cold. Seriously do not know what I am going to do when I go back to Canada. Although when I went to Los Cristianos I was regretting my jeans selection. I was not used to 28+ which Dana experiencing all the time. Now that is just too hot for me!
He showed me his super nice school, which was so clean. I was jealous. We finally went back for dinner, after dinner Javier, Dana’s house brother, who is 10 and has an infinite amount of energy was told I play soccer. So the family headed outside to the front yard, and the partido (game) began. It was Dana and I, vs. Javier and Mateo. Dana is not coordinated what so ever, so the 10 year old had a bit more energy, the 20 km walk didn’t help us either. Dana gave up eventually, we were exhausted. But,  apparently Dana was keeping score and said that the score was close... but i am not to sure.. ahaha! After the 1 ½ soccer game, we decided to change it up and play basketball. That me and Dana definitely won, Javier was super jealous! I don’t I could handle all that every day, i am just not 10 years old anymore! I am still tired from all that excitement. I had my second Spanish sleepover in Los Cristianos. In the morning we set off to Santa Cruz to meet up with Lauren, a girl from Illinois that lives in Gran Canaria and came to Tenerife for Christmas. Yesterday Dana and I, realized that pay phones are SUPER EXPENSIVE. I had to spend 8 euros on a pay phone. For one euro it was like 14 seconds... crap!
Anyways we finally met up with her, and I showed them around Santa Cruz, another 10km walking for Dana and I. We went to the Meridano for lunch, we had kebabs they were really good. Then we went walking again. Then we decided we were too tired and went to go to the movies. This was my very first Spanish movies and the theatres. We decided to go see MEGAMIND because we figured since it was a cartoon it would be easier to understand. I am so happy, I actually understood a lot of it! When I walked Lauren back to where she had to meet her family, and Dana to the bus station I was also dead. After a day of English, my Spanish sucked when I went to the gym that night. It’s a good thing I don’t see them every day or I don’t think i would know any Spanish!

No comments:

Post a Comment