Rotary Conference in Madrid

Rotary Conference in Madrid
Some Randum Exchange Students

My Blog

Please Enjoy my blog.



If this is the first time you are visiting My Blog, this colum reads in reverse chronilogical order of posting. In simpler words, the next paragraph is the last posting I have made.



Monday, December 27, 2010

Beach, swimming and my Birthday all in December? Pardon me...

MY 18th BIRTHDAY, IN SPAIN! – FELICIDADES CATHERINE
I didn’t really think much about my birthday, since Merci and Marcos had a swimming competition on the 2nd largest island in The Canary islands called Gran Canaria. It is in the shape of a circle, and is located rather close to Tenerife. Every day when I walk to school I can sometimes see Gran Canaria from the bridge above the highway. Anyways, i had a feeling I would feel homesick on my birthday for some reason, since I haven’t been home sick yet. Knock on wood.
We set off on our swimming adventures rather early in the morning, around 8. I guess it was decent because I didn’t have to go to school on Friday! Anyways, we get on the plane after I did 5 suduko puzzles out of the Spanish newspaper and Marcos did the crosswords. The fly attendant announces on the microphone that the flight will take 25 minutes to get to Gran Canaria and were up. We get our complementary sweet or salty nuts and glass of water that only planes flying between islands are provided with. Lucky ducks, I know!  After about 7 minutes in the air I see huge mountains, and as an exchange student start talking 9 million pictures. I say to Marcos (my host dad) who is seated beside me, WOW that was fast, were there already! Hes says, uhhhh no thats still Tenerife. I go... ohh as my IQ drops above 7 points. I will post an album on facebook because i don’t think i am able to post an album on the blog. So if you have me on facebook you can access them, if not add me. Catherine Giles (if you didn’t know that already). You should really check it out, looking down on the mountains is unbelievable, it seriously looks fact. Like how on earth can that be real. You’ll get the idea, because I took about 100...  A few minutes after my brain malfunction we are over the ocean and NOW headed to Gran Canaria. When we finally get close to the island, I couldn’t see much as I was seated on the opposite side of the plane, so couldn’t really get any pictures of the island until the ride home, which lucky me I was still on the bad side and only could get shots of Los Palmas which is the capital city of Gran Canaria, its basically where everyone lives and everyone works..
We land, I finish my Sudoko’s and we eat the delicious sandwiches and juice boxes Merci had prepared for us. We rent a car and head to our first destination. We drove up into the mountains for some sweet views of Los Palmas and to see Gran Canaria’s famous rock. It’s a straight rectangular rock that is just sitting awkwardly upright on the top of a mountain, its called __________. Marcos told me every island has some sort of thing it is famous for. Tenerife is known for El Teide, the giant volcano located on the opposite side of the island to where i live. Gran Canaria has the rock, Fuerteventura has wicked beaches, etc. Later that night while walking around the city of Los Palmas with 2 other of the swimming mates, Marcos backs into a poll in the parking garage and crushes the back of the rental car... WHOOPS
Also I went to the beach on Saturday in the morning, yes the day before my birthday, December 11th I was at the beach. If you don’t believe me you can look at the photo!
Later that day Merci and Marcos had their super long swimming competition which ended around 10 and started at 3:30... After the swim meet we went out for dinner with the team. Definitely THE LATEST I have ever eaten dinner, which i told everyone. And to my surprise it was also there latest dinner as well. We didn’t start eating our meals until probably 11:30-12ish. When we ordered deserts I choose Chocolate Mousse, YUMM!!! I will tell you now, I am oblivious... Marcos got up and started whispering to the other swimming members at the table, and Merci was like NO MARCOS NO, WHERE ARE YOU GOING, NO! Next thing I know Marcos makes an announcement, it has been someone’s birthday for 30 minutes, and the entire swimming team begins singing happy birthday to me in Spanish.
If you didn’t know the lyrics they go like this:
Cumpleanos feliz,
Cumpleanos feliz,
Te deseamos (name)

Cumpleanos feliz!
My chocolate mousse finally comes, and oh look it has a candle in it. Now I understand what Merci was flipping at Marcos about, and the Spanish courtett begins again. Cumpleanos Feliz... and i blow out my candle. We finish dinner probably around 3 and walk back to the hotel, I pass out instantly.

The next morning we are up early to fly back to Tenerife. On the plane Merci points out El Teide, which HAS SNOW!!! Imagine a white kid with light brown hair walking around the plane and saying NIEVE, NIEVE, NIEVE!!!! Which means snow snow snow. Pretty sure the entire plane thought I was crazy, considering only the tip of El Teide had snow. I officially cannot say i did not see snow all year, because I have. And yes I have pictures to prove it!

After the 25 minute flight, Adrian my host brother picks us up from the airport. We arrive home and I kind of notice people are acting a bit strange. But i don’t think anything of it, and I begin walking upstairs. I then hear voices saying pssst, pssst. Adrian and Marcos are awkwardly standing at the television door hovering behind me. I look into the tv room and see one of my good friends Sofia, then I look and all my friends are sitting on the coaches. They made fun of my facial expression for about a week, I am VERY VERY surprised. I literally had no idea.
They all commence into song and give me hugs and kisses, the Spanish greeting. Marcos orders pizza and we play Wii. After pizza Merci brings out a chocolate cake, my favourite and the singing begins again!  I was so happy, my Spanish family is amazing. They care about me and gave me a suprise party. I was so happy! It was a birthday I will NEVER EVER forget!
THANK YOU MARCOS, MERCI, ADRIAN, DIANE and all of my friends for organizing one of the best birthday’s in probably in entire life!

No comments:

Post a Comment