Rotary Conference in Madrid

Rotary Conference in Madrid
Some Randum Exchange Students

My Blog

Please Enjoy my blog.



If this is the first time you are visiting My Blog, this colum reads in reverse chronilogical order of posting. In simpler words, the next paragraph is the last posting I have made.



Sunday, January 30, 2011

Nombres Espanol y Apellidos (Spanish Names and Last Names)

I think that when i return to Canada I will meet a new person and be like what a weird name since I am so use to the names here. Now, when I meet someone and they tell me there name, my brain automatically desifers if it is a hard or easy name. Which I usually will state, and the person thinks i am a bit crazy. Never the less.

The only names you could possibly come across in canada that ive heard so far are: Kevin, erik, Claudia, Alexandra, Samuel (shorten to sam), Sara, Laura, Cathy, Cristina, Ana, Daniel, Brian, Sandra, Melisa, Cris, Adrian, Victoria, Joel, Jenni (Henni- silent h), Julia (Hulia) . Hey thats a lot more than I expected.
Popular girl names:
Maria, Miriam, Marta, Sofia, Tania, Tamara, Paula, Sara, Cristina, Sandra, Laura, Raquel, Eva and Adriana
Popular boy names:
Eduardo, Fernando, Juan, Jorge, Francisco, Jose, Samuel, Adrian, Julio, Rafael, Hector, Edgar, Javier, Sergio, David, Pablo, Carlos and of course Alejandro
Odd Spanish names that will turn your brain to mush trying to pronounce:
Note: in spanish the j makes an h sound, h itself is not pronounced, z is pronounced as an s, and v is pronounced like a b, and double ll makes a y sound. ENJOY!
Jey, Juanvi, Maurizio, Yolanda, Aranza, Miguel, Nauzaret, Arianda, Anita, Yasmin, Leticia, Montse,  Nauzet, Keyser, Roman, Dario, Migua, Ainhoa, Andreita, Juanfer, Emillio, Kenia, Oscar, German, Joao, Judit, Rober, Kenia, Leandro, Irina, Garoe, Santiago, Ubay, Noel, Yeray, Pepe, Natichi
I still have yet to meet someone with the name of Sanchez, I am rather upset

Fun fact about last names: In spain everyone’s last name consists of both your mother and father last names. People constantly are asking me what my second last name is, which me being the rare character I am, i do indeed possess. Although my mother’s name is technically my middle name..
Also just about everyone in Tenerife has the last name Cabrera or Gonzalez strangely enough, my host father has both. Also Diaz and Pena are very popular as well.
Now regarding my name, apparently it is almost impossible to pronounce. At first I would correct, but now I am just use to no one being able to say my name. And don’t even get my started on my last name. Caserin Nicol Building Hiles is what most people call me when they hear my name, in canarias they don’t pronounce ‘th’ and it comes out more of an s. If you know my full name you will understand where they’re getting this from.  Also most people spell it Catherin, which i am actually impressed with because they got the ‘th’ in there.
Also when people ask me my name I respond, and directly after the word ‘como’ is followed, which means how? Some people I met didn’t believe I was English so they asked me my name and their respond was, como, casper? Best name I’ve heard thus far, I got QUITE a kick out of that.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Catherine,

    WOWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!! I just love the way you write. So expressive and full of good info.We are all SO VERY PROUD of you..way to go girl.What an experience you are having.Everything sounds so great .And to think you went swimming on your birthday and have not been missing the old place too much.
    Marielly and Silvia are fitting in well Marielly is living with Karen and me now and we love having her around.She is kind,curious and loves to read and play the piano. She is a super young woman just like you.She has made some friends and loves St Johns. Leadership Class was the best course she has ever taken.Last week she was skiing in EVL and loved it.We will take her soon with us.
    Sure sounds like you are having a blast and loving every minute.
    Keep these great stories coming.
    Best to you Catherine.
    Bruce Williamson

    ReplyDelete